For more information on North Yorkshire County Councils local offer click here.

1. What are the different types of SEND that we provide for?

We endeavour to meet the needs of all pupils to make the best possible progress in school. SEND comes
under four broad areas as identified in the SEND Code of Practice 2014:

• Communication and interaction

• Cognition and learning

• Social, mental and emotional health

• Sensory and/or physical

2. What is our policy for identifying children with SEND?

See SEND Policy.

3. Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning or SEND?

Class Teacher

Responsible for:

• High quality teaching of all children including those with SEND.

• Monitoring the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child
may need and liaising with the SENCo.

• Writing and updating inclusion passports to record targeted work and additional support and sharing these
with parents.

• Ensuring that all staff in school, is helped to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they
can achieve the best possible outcome. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help
and specially planned work and resources.

• Ensuring that the school’s SEND policy is followed for all the pupils they teach with SEND.

SENCo (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator) / Inclusion manager

Responsible for:

• Co-ordinating all the support for children with SEND and developing the school’s SEND policy to make sure
that all children receive a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.

• Ensuring that you are

oInvolved in supporting your child’s learning.
oKept informed about the support your child is receiving.
oInvolved in reviewing and monitoring how they are doing.

• Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help to support your child’s learning
e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc.

• Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are
known and making sure that there are records of your child’s progress and needs.

• Providing specialist support for all staff in the school so that they can help children with SEND achieve the
best outcomes possible.

Head teacher

Responsible for:

• The day to day management of all aspects of the school which includes support for children with SEND.

• Ensuring that responsibility is given to the SENCo and class teachers whilst maintaining responsibility that
your child’s needs are met.

• Ensuring that the Governing Body is kept up-to-date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.

SEND Governor

Responsible for:

• Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child who attends the school who has SEND.

• Liaising with the SENCo.

4. Who can children with SEND talk to in school?

It is important that children have opportunity to discuss their learning and progress. The children should
feel that they can talk to any adult in school e.g. class teacher, teaching assistants, mid-day supervisors,
senior management team.

• School staff have an open door to all pupils and endeavour to ensure the views of pupils with SEND are
collected and heard.

5. How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

• Your child’s progress and application to learning is continually monitored by their class teacher.

• Progress is reviewed formally each term and a measurement against age related expectations is made.

• The progress of children with an educational Health and Care Plan (EHCP) is formally reviewed at an
annual review with all adults involved and where appropriate for the child.

• The SENCO will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any
group that they take part in.

6. How will Kirkbymoorside CP School support your child when they are leaving the school,or moving to another class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any
transition is as smooth as possible.

• For children joining Kirkbymoorside CP School

o The SENCo and/or class teacher will endeavour to meet with the previous setting and parents to discuss
the specific needs of the child.

o A transit
ion package will be put together and the SENCo and /or class teacher will liaise with all relevant parties and
attend relevant meetings during the transition period to gather information and  become familiar with the
needs of the child.

• When moving classes within school

o Information will be passed onto the new class teacher and in some cases a planning meetings will take

o The inclusion passport will be transferred to the new teacher.

o If your child would benefit from a communication passport or a social story to support their understanding
of transition then this will be provided.

If your child is moving to another school:

o We will contact the school SENCo to ensure they know about any special arrangements or support that
needs to be made for your child.

o We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

o We arrange for your child to make any additional visits to their new school if necessary. In some cases
staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.

7. How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

• Class teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class and
will endeavour to ensure that your child’s needs are met.

• Specially trained support staff work alongside class teachers to support the needs of your child where

• Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.

• Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis, if needed, to meet your child’s learning needs.

• Personalised programmes may be needed for some pupils, alternative care and/or curriculum activities
can be arranged on an individual needs basis. The SENCO will discuss this with you and involve you and
your child in the planning process should it be needed.

8. What are the different types of support available for children with SEND at Kirkbymoorside CP School?

Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching (also known as Quality First Teaching).

For your child this would mean:

•That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.

•That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.

Specific group work within a smaller group of children

Pupils may be identified as needing some extra support in school. For your child this would mean:

•They will engage in group sessions with specific targets to help them to make more progress. These are
planned by the teacher and usually led by an advanced teaching assistant who has been trained on how to
lead the programme.

This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding in a
subject/area of learning.

Specialist support from outside agencies

This means your child has been identified by the class teacher and SENCo as having additional educational
needs and therefore needs some extra specialist support from a professional outside the school. This may
be from Local authority central services now known as the Inclusive Education Service (IES), educational
Psychologist, Speech and Language Therapy (SALT), Occupational Therapy (OT) Physiotherapy.

For your child this would mean:

•You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways

•You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional.
This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to
support them more appropriately with their learning.

•The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make
recommendations which may include:

oMaking changes to the way your child is supported in class.
oSupport to reach appropriate outcomes.
oA group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a social skills group.

Specified individual support for your child

This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCo as needing a particularly high
level of individual support or small group teaching. Your child may also need specialist support in school
from a professional outside the school.

For your child this would mean:

•The school (or you) can request that the local authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s
needs. This is a legal process which sets out the provision for your child. School staff and parents would
meet together to complete a Comprehensive Assessment of Needs (CANDO) and Education Health and
Care Plan Request (ECAR) which is paperwork designed to assess the level of need. It is designed to be a
process which keeps children at the centre of the assessment and involving parents/carers and all agencies
working with your child.

•After the school have sent in the request to the local authority then (with a lot of information about your
child, including some from you). They will decide whether they think your child’s needs seem complex
enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will write an Education and Health Care
Plan (EHCP).

•The EHCP will outline the level and nature of support your child will receive and what strategies must be
put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.

•Your child will still be part of the class, under the direct responsibility of the class teacher.

•This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and life-long.

9. How are staff trained to support children with SEND?

• The school has a training plan for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including
those with SEND.

• Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by the local authority or outside
agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class.

10. How is SEND provision evaluated and monitored at Kirkbymoorside CP School?

• The SENCo, Head teacher, Senior Leadership Team and the Governing Body monitor SEND provision.

• Provision mapping is used throughout the school to ensure consistency across the school for the
inclusion of all pupils, including those with SEND.

• Monitoring takes place in the form of analysing data, learning walks, and liaising with staff, parents
and pupils for feedback.

• The SEND policy is reviewed annually in consultation with staff, parents and pupils.

11. How are children with SEND enabled to engage in activities available to children without SEND?

• The school building is accessible to children with any physical disability via ramps and a recently
installed lift.

• We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.

• After school clubs are accessible and encouraged for all children including those with SEND, adult
support can be arranged as required.

• We request advice from external agencies as needed to ensure all lessons are accessible and inclusive
for those pupils with SEND, alternative activities can be taught as required to enhance their curriculum.
• Trips including residential are accessible and encouraged to all children including those with SEND.
Extra risk assessments, arrangements and planning will take place as required on each individual basis.

12. What support is provided for children regarding social and emotional development?

• All staff have undertaken behaviour management training.

• As an Enhanced Mainstream School (EMS) we work closely as a staff. The children will be provided with
any necessary support to meet their needs. This may include the use of social stories, a designated
quiet area within the classroom, or ear defenders.

• There is a quiet lunchtime club available for children as required, where they can learn to play with
each other in a calm and controlled environment.

• Play leaders are used to support play at break times.

• Themes from the SEAL programme are used for assemblies and the school has a behaviour Code of

• Class rules are shared and displayed in each classroom.

• The school has a focus on the 5R’s - Readiness, Resourcefulness, Resilience, Responsibility and

• Classrooms aspire to be autism friendly environments.

13. How does the school involve other bodies, including health and social care, LA support services and voluntary...

...How does the school involve other bodies, including health and social care, LA support services
and voluntary sector organisations in meeting the needs of children with SEND?

Directly funded by the school:

• Teaching Assistant support

• Specific resources relevant to the child’s needs

Paid for centrally by the Local Authority but delivered in school:

• EMS provision in the form of; assessment, advice and resources for children with Communication and
Interaction Difficulties, Specific Learning Difficulties, EAL or Behavioural Difficulties.

• Autism Outreach Service (ASCOS)

• Educational Psychology Service

• Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs

Provided and paid for by the Health Service (Scarborough and Ryedale NHS Trust) but delivered in school:

• School Nurse

• Occupational Therapy

• Physiotherapy

• Speech and Language Therapy

Voluntary organisations

• Ryedale Special Families who can offer family support who can be contacted at
In addition, SENDIASS (Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Advice and Support Service)
can offer impartial advice and support, making home visits, attending meetings, putting you in touch with
support groups and assisting with paperwork. They can be contacted on this number: 01609 534611.

14. How can I let the school know if I am concerned?

• We would encourage you and your child to approach the class teacher to discuss your concerns.

• For further advice contact Mrs Turnbull (SENCo).

• The SEN Governor may be contacted through school if you feel that your concerns have not been

15. What does the Enhanced Mainstream Provision provide at Kirkbymoorside?

The Enhanced Provision is one of five primary schools across the county selected to provide additional
support for children with communication and interaction difficulties. The specialist provision is located
within and is fully integrated into Kirkbymoorside Primary School.

The EMS will:

• Demonstrate a culture and ethos that reflects a commitment to supporting and sustaining inclusive

• Promote enjoyment and participation and celebrate the achievements of children with communication and
interaction needs.

• Ensure that all staff make reasonable adjustments to enable the removal of barriers to achievement for
all children and staff.

• Champion and promote awareness of the needs and effective support for children with communication
and interaction and their families.

• Have accreditation through the ICAN Primary Talk.

• Have the LA’s Inclusion Quality Mark.

• Integrate fully with other service providers, e.g. Cognition & Learning EMS, Social Emotional & Mental
Health (SEMH) EMS, Minority Ethnic Achievement (MEA), Specialist Support Autism (SSA), etc.

The EMS will promote a positive learning environment characterised by:

• A whole school communication commitment.

• Direct and specialist teaching of skills and knowledge in relation to communication and interaction.

• Attention to the physical and sensory environment of the whole school to ensure that it is
communication supportive and autism friendly.

• Evidenced based interventions based on what works for children with autism and SLCN

• Professional development of staff within Kirkbymoorside School.

• Provision that can meet a range of needs through a differentiated and personalised approach, including
in-class support, group interventions and discrete teaching of those who need it.

• Raising peer awareness for children with communication and interaction needs.

All North Yorkshire maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of children with Special
Educational Needs or a disability (SEND). Our SEND information report outlines details for parents/carers of
children who have SEND and all those who support children who have additional needs. Kirkbymoorside
Community Primary School holds the Inclusion Quality Mark, this ensures that all pupils with SEND are being
met in a mainstream setting wherever possible, where families want this to happen.
webmaster login
Powered by
Live School updates
SEND Information Report
is available at Kirkbymoorside Primary School.